University of Okoboji
Classic Invitational Soccer Tournament
The Forty-Third Annual University of Okoboji Classic Invitational Soccer Tournament will take place June 12-13, 2021. This is a FAMILY-ORIENTED RECREATIONAL TOURNAMENT, designed to promote the Iowa Great Lakes area and your CYSL soccer club. No select teams are allowed,and there are new requirements regarding secondary players.
This notice is for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an invitation to the tournament. If your team is interested in participating in this tournament, you must register by April 15th. Invitations will be issued after April 15th. No verbal responses will be accepted! If interested, please respond by registering your team on the Registration page on www.BojiSoccer.com. All registrations will be handled via this website, starting March 15th.
There are four age groups participating in the tournament, henceforth called divisions. There may be more than one bracket of games in each age division. The divisions are:
Under 12 Girls, Under 12 Boys
Under 14 Girls, Under 14 Boys
U12 will play 9 v 9; U14 will play 11 v 11. The maximum number of players on each team will be 22. Players on a team must be from the same club and must be registered for their own league and play on a team sponsored by such club.
Given the uncertainty of the potential quality of the fields at the Bedell Family YMCA (Spirit Lake is more prone to flooding than Milford), please be aware of the following:
- We guarantee that each team will play a minimum of two games, but will attempt to get teams three games.
- All game times may be limited to 25-minute halves (rather than 30 minutes for U14 games)
- Some U14 games may be played 9 vs. 9 on smaller fields
- Players must be registered with the team for one or both sessions of the 2019/2020 CYSL season.
- No 9th grade students will be allowed to participate.
- A player may be registered for and play for only one team in this tournament.
- Players who qualified for and registered in the U12 division of the 2019/2020 CYSL season are allowed to play in the U12 division of the Okoboji Tournament.
- Players who qualified for and registered in the U14 division of the 2019/2020 CYSL season are allowed to play in the U14 division of the Okoboji Tournament.
- Exception: players who played in a lower age group during the 2019/2020 CYSL season are allowed to “play up” into an older age group in the Okoboji Tournament. Players are not allowed to “play down” into a younger age group.
Team Eligibility Due to Secondary Players
- Because this is a recreational tournament as well as an invitational (meaning acceptance is not guaranteed), preferential consideration for acceptance will be given to teams whose rosters consists of NO MORE THAN 50% secondary players.
- Teams whose rosters consist of more than 50% but less than 70% secondary players may be considered if spots remain.
- As the percentage of secondary players increases, the less likely it is that team will be considered for acceptance.
- Teams whose rosters consist of 70% or more secondary players will not be eligible for the tournament.
Secondary players are players who participate on other competitive/select teams (e.g., Azzurri, SOFC, United, etc.).
- By definition, only athletes who do not participate in other youth soccer organizations are deemed primary players by CYSL.
- Official State rosters will be required for each team.
Except as otherwise stated herein, CYSL and FIFA soccer rules will apply to this tournament.
* * * Any further exceptions will be ruled on by the tournament directors on a case-by-case basis. * * *
* * * Decisions made by the tournament directors will be considered final. * * *
The opening ceremonies for the tournament will begin approximately 45 minutes before the start of the first game on Saturday, June 6th. All players must be present at these ceremonies. The first games of the tournament will follow the opening ceremonies, with the final games to be completed no later than 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 7th. A schedule of the individual games will be provided at a later date.
The tournament will use a pool play format. Subject to scheduling, each team will play a minimum of two games on Saturday. The top four teams in each division after Saturday’s games will play on Sunday to determine the bracket winners and runner-ups (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3, with the winner of each game playing one another for the division championship). If all fields are available, and depending upon how many teams enter, we will do our best to get teams that are not in the top four spots a third game on Sunday
Each team must have alternate player uniforms available. Cover-ups/pinnies are acceptable.
Again, this notice is for INFORMATION ONLY AND IS NOT AN INVITATION.
If you are interested in entering the tournament, the following is required for the online registration:
- Division(s) in which you wish to play (U12 Girls, U12 Boys, U14 Girls, or U14 Boys)
- Contact person with email address, phone numbers (day and evening), and t-shirt size
- Player information, including: name, age, birth date, school grade, jersey number, t-shirt size (adult sizes only), and whether any of your players play in a league other than CYSL
- After submitting your team online, and prior to a formal invitation to play in the tournament, you will be asked to provide an official State roster for your team
Registrations are due by April 15th. The team contact will receive an email noting the team was added for consideration with a team ID (DO NOT LOSE your team ID). If your team receives an invitation, the team contact will receive an approval email with a link to the website, which will have a link to PayPal for payment. Registration fee is $55.00 per player. Payment is due by May 1st and is required to finalize the registration.
One payment transaction per team registration. Payment will be accepted by debit or credit card via PayPal. A PayPal account is not required.
Each player will receive a small gift, and each player, head coach and up to two assistant coaches will receive a program and souvenir t-shirt. Awards will be given to the two final teams in each division immediately following their final game.
Please note that:
- By attending the tournament, spectators agree to adhere to Spectator Rules and Code of Conduct. (See left-hand links for additional information.)
- Due to the popularity and overwhelming interest in this tournament, the organizers and directors reserve the right to limit the number of teams.
If you are no longer in charge of your club or team, please forward this information to the appropriate person as soon as possible.
We appreciate your consideration to participate in the tournament.
2021 Tournament Directors
Kelly and Aaron Blaney
Bedell Family YMCA