General Job Summary: This is a part-time position (27.5 hours/week), based on the Spencer Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College. Primary responsibilities include teaching non-credit Adult Education & Literacy classes for multiple levels of proficiency students to learn or brush-up on basic skills such as writing, reading, and math in preparation for the high school equivalency exam, for employment and/or college readiness. Additional instruction may be offered in financial, digital, and critical thinking literacy. This position requires development of curriculum and lesson plans incorporating College & Career Ready standards. Recruitment, assessing, and student support is also required. This position will assist with benchmark attainment, data entry, orientations, and student advising for career and academic pathways. Day and evening hours, possibly Saturdays, and travel within the college's service area will be required at times. Position is contingent on continued grant funding.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities % of Time
- Assist in the delivery of Adult Education & Literacy courses in a variety of delivery formats.
- Actively engage students through creative and participatory explicit instruction.
- Create and modify Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) curriculum in alignment with College and Career Readiness (CCR) standards.
- Communicate and collaborate with AEL staff about student success, instructional needs, and curriculum planning.
- Assess and document student progress in appropriate databases.
- Exceed program benchmarks set by the College and Iowa Department of Education.
- Engage in recruiting activities to increase enrollment of AEL students; collaborate with other college staff and area businesses and industries in recruitment efforts.
- Administer relevant pretests, posttests, and practice tests.
- Maintain and update professional development documentation as required by the Collee and Iowa Department of Education.
- Evaluate and update Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) classroom delivery methods as needed.
- Provide support to college staff administering CASAS and HiSET testing.
- Attend Adult Education & Literacy meetings.
- Engage regularly in professional development activities and keep current with developing trends in adult education.
- Complete and submit quarterly reports of academic activities.
- Data entry in Topspro Enterprise (TE) for AEL Program.
- Serve as member of appropriate committees.
Special Demands: Position involves sitting and standing most of the time in an office or classroom/laboratory setting. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally. Will be required to travel within community college service area utilizing person vehicle. Some statewide or regional travel may be required.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without employer sponsorship.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree required. Teaching experience preferred.
Salary: $20.70/ hour
Fringe Benefits: Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays. Employee retirement plan.
Review of applications will begin September 13, 2021. View complete job description and application process at www.iowalakes.edu/employment. Contact Lynn Miller at email@example.com or 712-362-0409. Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334. EEO/AA Employer