GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
This is a part-time position, up to 20 hours per week maximum, based on the Estherville Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College. Primary responsibilities include teaching non-credit Adult Education & Literacy, High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for multiple levels of proficiency students in the areas of speaking, listening, and writing English with additional instruction in civics, employability skills, as well as financial, digital, and critical thinking literacy. Day and evening hours, possibly Saturdays, and travel within the college’s service area will be required. Position is contingent on continued grant funding.
% of TIME
- Deliver Adult Education & Literacy, HSED and ESL classes in a variety of delivery formats.
- Create and modify Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) curriculum, including IELCE programming, that aligns with College & Career Ready (CCR) standards.
- Develop goal oriented, strategic lesson plans in correlation with CCR standards.
- Actively engage students through creative and participatory explicit instruction.
- Integrate new strategies into classroom instruction: Civics Education, Integrated Education & Training, Literacies, Workforce Preparation and Integration, etc.
- Communicate and collaborate with AEL staff about student success, instructional needs, and curriculum planning.
- Assess and document student progress.
- Meet and exceed program benchmarks set by the college and the Iowa Department of Education.
- Engage in recruiting activities to increase enrollment of AEL students; collaborate with other college staff and area businesses and industries in recruitment efforts.
- Enter and maintain student records in college and federal databases.
- Administer relevant pre- and post- assessment testing.
- Maintain and update documentation – such as staff development, certifications, and instructional hours – required by the college and governmental organizations.
- Evaluate Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) curriculum materials and classroom delivery methods and improve and update as needed.
- Implement and instruct curriculum for Integrated English Literacy/Civics Education (IELCE) or Integrated Employment and Training (IET) programs.
- Align curriculum and writing lesson plans incorporating College & Career Readiness Standards.
- Recruit, assess, and provide tutoring assistance for students as needed.
- Provide support to Success Center staff with AEL testing.
- Order program supplies and materials as needed.
- Attend Adult Education & Literacy meetings.
- Serve as member of appropriate committees.
- Attend professional development trainings and conferences and keep current with developing trends in developmental education.
- Complete and submit quarterly reports of academic activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to teach coursework necessary to improve speaking, listening, and writing skills. Writing skills require background in Writing, English, and/or ELL instruction.
- Ability to effectively communicate and manage students and activities.
- Ability to assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise good judgment when making decisions.
- Ability to interact effectively with students and college personnel to promote student success.
- Ability to efficiently perform tasks in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Thorough knowledge of technology and office procedures as well as correct oral and written communication skills.
- Enthusiastic and energetic in job performance; maintain high standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity in assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Represent the college in a positive manner to employees, students, visitors, and the general public.
- Ability to work with academically under-prepared students.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without Employer Sponsorship.
Bachelor’s degree required. Teaching experience preferred, proficiency in Mathematics preferred. ESL background preferred. Fluency in multiple languages preferred.
View complete job description and application process at www.iowalakes.edu/employment. Contact Lynn Miller at email@example.com or 712-362-0409.