General Job Summary: This is a part-time position, (27.5 hours/week), based on the Estherville Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College. Primary responsibilities include teaching non-credit Adult Education & Literacy, High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for multiple levels of proficiency students in the areas of speaking, listening, and writing English with additional instruction in civics, employability skills, as well as financial, digital, and critical thinking literacy. Day and evening hours, possibly Saturdays, and travel within the college’s service area will be required. Position is contingent on continued grant funding.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities % of Time
- Deliver Adult Education & Literacy, HSED and ESL classes in a variety of delivery formats.
- Create and modify Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) curriculum, including IET/IELCE programming, that aligns with College & Career Ready (CCR) standards.
- Develop goal oriented, strategic lesson plans in correlation with CCR standards.
- Actively engage students through creative and participatory explicit instruction.
- Integrate new strategies into classroom instruction: Civics Education, Integrated Education & Training, Literacies, Workforce Preparation and Integration, etc.
- Communicate and collaborate with AEL staff about student success, instructional needs, and curriculum planning.
- Assess and document student progress.
- Meet and exceed program benchmarks set by the college and the Iowa Department of Education.
- Engage in recruiting activities to increase enrollment of AEL students; collaborate with other college staff and area businesses and industries in recruitment efforts.
- Enter and maintain student records in college and federal databases.
- Administer relevant pre- and post- assessment testing.
- Maintain and update documentation – such as staff development, certifications, and instructional hours – required by the college and governmental organizations.
- Evaluate Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) curriculum materials and classroom delivery methods and improve and update as needed.
- Implement and instruct curriculum for Integrated English Literacy/Civics Education (IELCE) or Integrated Employment and Training (IET) programs.
- Align curriculum and writing lesson plans incorporating College & Career Readiness Standards.
- Recruit, assess, and provide tutoring assistance for students as needed.
- Provide support to Success Center staff with AEL testing.
- Order program supplies and materials as needed.
- Attend Adult Education & Literacy meetings.
- Serve as member of appropriate committees.
- Attend professional development trainings and conferences and keep current with developing trends in developmental education.
- Complete and submit quarterly reports of academic activities.
- Data entry in Topspro Enterprise (TE) for AEL Program
Special Demands: Position involves sitting or standing most of the time in an office or classroom/laboratory setting. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions and viewing various types of close visual work. Frequent (34-66%) stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, and carrying. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally. Will be required to travel within community college service area utilizing personal vehicle. Some statewide or regional travel may be required.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without employer sponsorship.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. Teaching experience preferred, proficiency in Mathematics preferred. ESL background preferred. Fluency in multiple languages preferred.
Fringe Benefits: Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays. Retirement package.
Review of applications will begin September 13, 2021. View complete job description and application at www.iowalakes.edu/employment. Contact Lynn Miller at email@example.com or 712-362-0409. Iowa Lakes Community College, Human Resources, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334. EEO/AA Employer