General Job Summary: This is a part-time (27.5 hours/week) position located on the Estherville Campus. Primary responsibilities are to assist adult learners in defining their career path and transition them to either continue their education or enter the workforce (or grow). The successful candidate must be able to work independently and demonstrate ability to recruit, advise, and retain participants through short-term, skill-up programming. Bilingual (Spanish) required. Position is contingent on continued grant funding.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities % of Time
- Recruit and provide services to aid students in selecting career pathway and determining appropriate training to secure or advance employment opportunities.
- Assess students' skills, interests, and previous academic and work experience for purposes of placement in pathways for academic career and employment projects.
- Work with students to develop academic and career plans and to adjust such plans as needed.
- Assist in identifying and resolving obstacles to students' successful completion of pathways for academic career and employment projects.
- Maintain ongoing contact with students enrolled in pathways for academic career and employment projects and ensuring students are making satisfactory progress toward the successful completion of projects.
- Articulate the career mapping process for pathways and encourage students to explore bridge between noncredit and credit programs.
- Maintain appropriate records to document progress for reports.
- Assist clients to access tools to help them manage program expectations to completion.
- Connect students with resources or outside support services as needed.
- Provide transition career support for Adult Education and Literacy participants or other community members.
- Participate in activities with community-based organizations that serve as key recruiters for pathways for academic career and employment projects and assisting students throughout the recruitment process.
- Assist with the intake process, along with accompanying support services, reflecting sensitivity to the time and financial constraints and remediation needs of the target populations.
- Partner with other state and federal agencies to assist underserved and low-income populations explore career opportunities and workforce skill enhancement.
- Serve on selected and voluntary committees of the college.
- Arrange and/or attend meetings when necessary.
- Conduct community awareness programs to advertise services.
- Perform other work duties as assigned and requested.
Special Demands: Sedentary to light work. Position involves sitting most of the time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%). Stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, carrying, occasionally (10-33%). Walking, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motion frequently (34-66%). Talking, hearing, and viewing various types of close visual work constantly (67-100%). Must have valid driver’s license, good driving record and provide proof of insurance. Required to travel utilizing personal vehicle.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without employer sponsorship.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individual may perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bilingual (Spanish) required. Associate Degree in a related area required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Prior experience in education program development or instruction is desired.
Fringe Benefits: Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays. Employee retirement package.
Review of applications will begin September 13, 2021. View complete job description and application process at www.iowalakes.edu/employment. Contact Lynn Miller at email@example.com or 712-362-0409. Iowa Lakes Community College, Human Resources, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334. EEO/AA Employer