General Job Summary: This is a full-time position responsible for providing direct services to students, parents/families, and school staff across three districts and the college to support college preparation and post-secondary success.
% 0f Time
- Meet with students on an appointment schedule or on a walk-in basis as needed to effectively meet staff and student needs.
- Assist all students, individually or in groups, with developing academic, college, and career goals and plans.
- Collaborate with school counselors, administrators, and teachers to support academic success, career exploration, goal setting, leadership development, college planning, and campus visits for all students.
- Responsible for case management to include: tracking, proactive communications, follow-up with students, faculty, and other resources to increase student success.
- Work as a part of the college services team (admissions, advising, financial aid, student activities, housing, registration).
- Assist students with course selection, creation of academic plans, registration process and facilitating the transfer of students to four-year colleges/universities.
- Serve as a resource for school staff, students, parents/families, and community members.
- Support a smooth transition from 12th grade to post-secondary education for students and families.
- Provide students with information regarding application, educational offerings, financial aid, assessment testing and course placement, and related district policies and processes.
- Connect students and families with community and higher education resources to support success in school and facilitate planning for post-secondary education.
- Establish and maintains confidential records of students.
- Collaborate with school staff to establish high expectations for all students and develop a rigorous/relevant curriculum to build the foundation needed for success in post-secondary education.
- Teach First-Year Experience courses, Freshman Seminars and direct workshops for students.
- Responsible for monitoring attendance, academic performance, college prep course selection, enrollment in AP and dual enrollment courses, credits needed for graduation, and progress towards goals of all students.
- Collect and analyze student data and confer with school and college staff to identify and refer students in need of more intensive academic support such as tutoring, extended learning, mentoring and counseling.
- Participate in statewide counseling organizations.
- Serve on selected and volunteer committees.
- Conduct parent/family outreach and education (including home visits) activities to strengthen family/school partnerships and facilitate college selection and financial planning.
- Submit required reports and documentation as requested.
- Assist with summer programs, college orientation sessions, and other recruitment or enrollment events.
- Participates in professional development, as directed by the community college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Employment with Iowa Lakes Community College is dependent upon successful passage of a criminal background check. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States without Employer Sponsorship.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s Degree in School Counseling or related program leading to Iowa licensure as a School Counselor (Professional Service License or School Counselor Endorsement) required. Experience in secondary and/or post-secondary education settings. Experience in programs serving low-income, minority, and ELL students and families.
Salary: Commensurate with education and related experience for a 190-day contract.
Fringe Benefits: Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays. Employee health, dental, and vision insurance. Partially funded family insurance available. Employee life and disability insurance. Retirement package.
Review of applications will begin May 10, 2021. View complete job description and application process at www.iowalakes.edu/employment. Contact Lynn Miller at email@example.com or 712-362-0409. Iowa Lakes Community College, 19 South 7th Street, Estherville, IA 51334.