This position will be responsible for assisting Department Manager to present the freshest most innovative and best quality products at a competitive retail price to customers. Additionally you will ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service to customers and team members.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers; Delicatessen Manager
Direct Reports: Full and Part timers in the department
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee’s designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers’ names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they’re looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.\
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking product orders.
- Checks orders for the day and sets up a timeline and production schedule.
- Reviews the status and appearance of product for freshness and pulls by stale date.
- Ensures department standards are met.
- Prepares product and determines placement in case.
- Promotes and coordinates catering including working with other departments, delivery and set-up
- Assigns duties to part time crew as needed.
- Reviews day of week for gross potential.
- Reviews future sales weeks and plans for events/production
- Adjusts pricing in store computer system.
- Trains new employees.
- Handles and satisfies customer issues
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat, and maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes management duties in absence of Department Manager.
- Assists with inventory procedures.
- Orders product and supplies as needed.
- Verifies product received, posts invoices, and maintains record of outdates for credit
- Determines what products to use for sampling.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Instructs, assigns, reviews and plans work of others. Maintains standards, coordinates activities, and allocates personnel.
Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience and over six months up to one year of similar or related experience.
- Must be physically able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
This position is exposed to dust, noise, equipment movement hazards, and electrical shock on a daily basis. Has occasional exposure to temperature extremes and cleaning chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Telephone, fax, copier, intercom system, computer, calculator, Telexon ordering unit, C.A.R.S. reordering system, kitchen utensils, wrapping machine, garbage disposal, trash compactor, cardboard compactor, box cutter, slicer, scales, delivery van, pallet jack, hot wrapper, and knives.
Has daily contact with customers, suppliers/vendors, and the general public. Has occasional contact with federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies for inspections.
Has access to confidential information including pricing.