This is a full-time position located on the Emmetsburg Campus. Individual needs to possess skills in one or more specific trade areas but will be primarily engaged in duties related to general construction maintenance and repair, crack filling and striping parking lots, plumbing installation and repair, basic electrical and general facility maintenance. Computer skills are beneficial. Employee will also be required to perform custodial or janitorial duties as directed by the supervisor. Requires early morning snow removal responsibilities and possible weekend and evening hours. Job duties may be performed at all campuses and in all buildings or facilities. This is an “essential” personnel position and will require the employee to work during periods of adverse weather.
DEPARTMENT: Building & Grounds
REPORT TO: Executive Director of Physical Plant
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (% of TIME)
- Repair and maintain physical structure, electrical systems, plumbing systems.
- Diagnose problems and make repairs accordingly.
- Act as security personnel by monitoring for unusual activities or personnel and reporting same.
- Work collaboratively with others to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Install new systems or modify existing systems.
- Perform custodial duties of sweeping, mopping, buffing, vacuuming, wiping or otherwise clean or keep orderly classrooms, offices, bathroom, labs, etc.
- Order parts or equipment as needed for repairs or replacements.
- Move materials, furniture or equipment between classrooms or buildings.
- Lock or unlock facility as directed by supervisor or according to building schedule.
- Remove snow or ice from sidewalks or driveways during winter months.
- Mow lawns or assist with lawn or shrubbery care.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Represent the College in a most positive manner to employees, students, visitors, and the general public.
- Ability to perform medium lifting and repetitious physical activity.
- Experience, training or education sufficient to perform duties and responsibilities normally associated with a skilled trade occupation.
- Knowledge of use of common cleaning implements such as mops, brooms and common cleaning solutions such as floor wax, furniture wax, detergents, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely operate common cleaning equipment such as vacuum cleaners, wet vacs, shampoo machines and other standard cleaning equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use common maintenance and repair tools, such as hammers, saws, wrenches, etc.
- Ability to use computer, excel spreadsheets, and learn hvac scheduling system
- Ability to operate lawn mowers, snow removal equipment, dump truck and forklift and be responsible for their maintenance.
SPECIAL DEMANDS: Medium work. Position requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally (10-33%); up to 20 pounds frequently (34-66%); and up to 10 pounds constantly to lift or move objects. Must be able to perform routine stooping, bending, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions continually. Occasional kneeling and crawling. May be subject to bio-hazardous waste, chemicals, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and ladders, atmospheric conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin, fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation, noise, and vibrations. Must complete Bloodborne Pathogens Training because of potential exposure to blood or body fluids while performing cleaning duties. Possess or be willing to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). Employee will be subject to drug and alcohol testing. Will be required to attend all Safety meetings, CPR training and other work related training.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions, job duties/responsibilities, and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or equivalency required. Education, training, or experience in skilled maintenance area sufficient to function independently in diagnosing problems, making repairs, or replacements is required. Custodial or housekeeping experience helpful.
SALARY: $13.84 per hour
FRINGE BENEFITS: Paid medical leave, vacation and holidays. Employee health, dental and vision insurance. Partially funded family insurance available. Employee life and disability insurance. Employee retirement plan.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of applications will begin immediately.